The Derpiest Fish You Ever Did See


© markaeiou
Habitat: From Maryland to southern Florida excluding the Gulf of Mexico.  Also found in Bermuda, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, and the northeastern South American coast.
Status: Least Concern
Any South Park fans out there? When I look at this Blue Parrotfish (Scarus coeruleus) the first word that comes to mind is… derp. Basically means looking really stupid or something. Maybe you’ve seen the memes
The extraordinary color of the Blue Parrotfish is as mesmerizing in the water as it is out, as visible in the first picture. They use their parrot-like beaks, which are actually fused teeth, to scrape algae from coral and other rocky substrates. Around 80% of the Blue Parrotfish’s time is spent searching for food. The other 20% is spent practicing their fabulous grin so that no photobombing opportunity goes unmissed.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Want incredible creatures delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free weekly newsletter packed with fascinating fun. We will never sell your info.

  • Ghastly726

    I love dis fish